Originally published on BibleJournal.net
Today’s reading: Numbers 11; Psalm 48; Isaiah 1; Hebrews 9
May 4th, 2016
And when the people complained, it displeased the Lord: and the Lord heard it; and his anger was kindled; and the fire of the Lord burnt among them, and consumed them that were in the uttermost parts of the camp. – Numbers 11:1
This is a good reminder to how God responds to complainers. God’s anger is kindled when His people complain. Does this seem a bit extreme to you?
A housewife was overheard correcting her daughter. The daughter slipped and complained. “I’m bored.” she said. “We do not say such things my child.”, the housewife’s tone changed as if to keep the child from running into the street. She explained to the child, “Such things are offensive to the Creator. His creation is more than enough for us to enjoy.” Hearing the conversation the goodman of the house reinforced the truth, “He has given us everything my daughter.” The goodman and the housewife and the daughter went off to explore God’s creation in all its glory; the intricacies, the details, and the vastness of wisdom contained in single view kept them in awe until the thought of boredom had been chased far, far away, never to return in the presence of the truth.
The eyes of all wait upon thee; And thou givest them their meat in due season. Thou openest thine hand, And satisfiest the desire of every living thing. The Lord is righteous in all his ways,
And holy in all his works. The Lord is nigh unto all them that call upon him, To all that call upon him in truth. – Psalm 145:15–18
May we all be in awe and may our children always be captivated by Your creation. May we all have trust in You.
- Consider Psalm 23:1, “The LORD is my Shephard, I shall not want.” Is this a statement about a a Santa Clause in the sky who is always ready with shinny things? Or could this be a statement about our trust in God? Sheep are an interesting sort, consistently going astray to seek out greener pastures.
- Some commands to consider as we trust in the LORD with thankfulness:
- In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. – 1 Thessalonians 5:18
- And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. – Colossians 3:17
- Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, And into his courts with praise: Be thankful unto him, and bless his name. – Psalm 100:4
- This is the day which the Lord hath made; We will rejoice and be glad in it. – Psalm 118:24
- Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, – Romans 1:21–23